Thursday, March 25, 2010

Suman's Dal

Dr. Suman sent me this recipe, but the amount of lentils was incorrect. After cooking watery (but tasty) dal a couple of times, I doubled the amount of lentils and the results were wonderful. Easy to make and delicious. I eliminate the peppers when I serve to my family.

Oil
Pinch tumeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 onion - diced
5 cloves garlic - finely chopped
1-2 green chilis (optional) - sliced long.
1 cup red dal
3 cups water
salt to taste

Add teaspoon of oil to a deep pan.
Add a pinch of turmeric.
Once it is warm add cumin and mustard seeds.
Let the mustard seeds break as they fry.
Add onion and cook until golden brown.
Add garlic and green chilis
Add dal and mix with the ingredients.
Add salt to taste and mix for 2-3 min.
Add 3 cups of water and close the lid, let it cook for 15min.

No comments:

Post a Comment