I wanted to make an egg-free Pecan Pie for Thanksgiving this year. So, I took my previous recipe, combined it with a vegan recipe I found online (http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/best-vegan-pecan-pie/) and came up with this. I also added a little whisky to this version.
- 1¼ c flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 7.5 Tbsp vegan butter, chilled
- 3-5 Tbsp ice water
- 2 c pecan halves
- 1/3 c dark chocolate chips
- 10 whole wheat crackers, crumbled
- ½ c water
- 2 ½ Tbsp canola oil
- 1¼ c sugar
- ¼ c agave syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp bourbon (optional)
- 3 Tbsp applesauce or pumpkin puree
- 3 Tbsp corn or tapioca starch
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until pea-sized.
- Sprinkle with 3 Tbsp ice water and stir until dough comes together in a ball, adding more ice water as needed.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface or between wax paper
- Transfer to 9" pie plate; trim and shape edges as desired.
- Prick crust with a fork and fill with pie weights; bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove pie plate from oven and set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Roast pecans for about 15 minutes. Don’t burn them.
- Turn off heat and let pecans cool
- When cool, take ½ the pecans and chop up
- In a small bowl, stir together crackers and water.
- Let water absorb, then put mixture in a food processor with oil, sugar, agave nectar, vanilla, applesauce or pumpkin puree, and starch.
- Process until mixture is relatively smooth.
- Pour mixture into saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- When mixture boils, lower heat slightly and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring to make sure nothing burns to the bottom of the pan.
- Fold in pecans and chocolate chips , bourbon, and let chocolate melt
- Remove pie weights from crust, then pour filling into crust.
Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Let cool before serving